Re: Kernel Level Generic Target Mode control path

On Thu, 2008-08-28 at 21:52 +0400, Vladislav Bolkhovitin wrote:
> >> So, I believe, a configuration interface should be rather /proc or /sys
> >> interface based. I don't think we should care much about backward
> >> compatibility with tgtadm, because the existing interface doesn't reach
> >> the state of being widely used.
> >
> > I would definately vote against proc here for the fancy stuff I
> > mentioned above.  I have experience enabled core-iscsi to use sysfs for
> > RO data, but nothing along the lines of what would be required for a
> > generic target mode RW control path.  Does anyone with sysfs experience
> > have any comments on thing..?
>
> Sysfs as well as configfs have one big disadvantage. They limit each
> file to only 4KB. This would force us for to create a subdirectory for
> each device and for each connected initiator. I don't like seeing
> thousands subdirectories. Additionally, such layout is a lot less
> convenient for parsing for the high level configuration tool, which
> needs to find out the difference between the current configuration and
> content of the corresponding config file.

That's because each of those interfaces is designed around one value per
file.

> Currently, with procfs SCST can list in /proc/scst/sessions virtually
> unlimited amount of connected initiators in a simple for parsing manner.
> It was done using seq interface well and simply. Neither sysfs, nor
> configfs support seq interface. This would introduce significant effort
> in both kernel and user spaces.
>
> Debugfs supports seq interface, but, because of the name, I doubt we can
> use it ;)
>
> Thus, looks like we'd better stay with /proc. After all, networking and
> VM widely use /proc for internal configuration. Why SCSI target is worse?

I wouldn't do that.  /proc has been deprecated for several years for
large config interfaces (indeed it's trying to be scaled back only to
deal with processes).  Nothing with a huge /proc interface would pass a
review for 2.6 nowadays.

James