Re: [RFC] pass through support in fc transport: via bsg (block SG)

Andrew Vasquez wrote:
Additionally, we have to be careful about what kind of interface we believe
the LLD's support. If they expected a raw frame transmit, I don't know how
many support that, especially as adapters very much control XID's, etc.
Create Exchange, w/ Send/Receive, sequence is prefered, but even that might
be too low.  At best, there is explicit els or ct assist interfaces - which
means the LLD/adapter is likely handling all the header and segmentation,
and the interface is just passing payload buffers.

That's essentially what prompted this inquiry.  Sure, for hardware
CNA/HBA solutions, access to something like a raw-frame header seems
unnecessary.  What about software FCoE?  Would the openfcoe want this
export/expose these raw-frame data?

Well - if it's an interface that really needs to be supported by everything, we should focus on the common denominator. CT/ELS passthru, in so much as needed by HBAAPI (or whatever generic tools we create like fcping), is one of those "by everything" cases.

We can always have additional interfaces, which are similar, and less supported by definition, that can go lower in the stack. I would also justify the separate interfaces as it's ambiguous to have an interface that says "sometimes this information is relevant, and sometimes its not, depending on who receives it". The consumer of the interface can't depend on it.

-- james