Re: [RFC] pass through support in fc transport: via bsg (block SG)

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008, James Smart wrote:

> Nope - not forgotten, just a lot of different things to get to.
>
> I don't know of anything in the header that needs to be specified.
> Everything is either fixed because it is an ELS/CT request, or what needs
> to be specified (usually S_ID/D_ID) comes from the object the bsg reference
> is to. CS_CTL is the only one that is a maybe - but that's a whole
> different story, and we should just ignore it for now. So I'm against a
> header.
>
> Additionally, we have to be careful about what kind of interface we believe
> the LLD's support. If they expected a raw frame transmit, I don't know how
> many support that, especially as adapters very much control XID's, etc.
> Create Exchange, w/ Send/Receive, sequence is prefered, but even that might
> be too low.  At best, there is explicit els or ct assist interfaces - which
> means the LLD/adapter is likely handling all the header and segmentation,
> and the interface is just passing payload buffers.

That's essentially what prompted this inquiry.  Sure, for hardware
CNA/HBA solutions, access to something like a raw-frame header seems
unnecessary.  What about software FCoE?  Would the openfcoe want this
export/expose these raw-frame data?

--
av