Re: [usb-storage] USB storage devices and SAT

On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 03:10:04AM +0200, Douglas Gilbert wrote:
> Alan Stern has already noted to another smartmontools developer
> that such a change is likely to break some USB storage devices.
> Perhaps the maximum sense buffer size could be optionally
> specified per usb storage device. Alternatively the usb mass
> storage logic could make some dynamic decisions itself.

To clarify: A great many devices choke (fatally) if asked for sense data
other than 18 bytes.  Since the first TEST_UNIT_READY will likely require
sense data, almost every device sees REQUEST_SENSE.

Personally, I hate having to make dynamic decisions in usb-storage.  The
more we try to do there, the more likely we are to get it wrong.

If you've got an app that is sending a command, and you KNOW that command
should produce >18 bytes of sense data, then there should be a way to
specify to the SCSI core (and thus get passed to usb-storage) that sense
data of >18 bytes should be requested.

Matt

--
Matthew Dharm                              Home: mdharm-usb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm seen in many forms.  Now open your mouth.  It's caffeine time.
					-- Cola Man to Greg
User Friendly, 10/28/1998