Re: aacraid and S.M.A.R.T

On Jul 31, 2008, at 10:05 AM, Douglas Gilbert wrote:

Mark Salyzyn wrote:
aacraid driver is not the emulation. The Firmware itself has a SAT 0.9 translation layer to the raw SATA drives at the physical transport, the
Firmware then deals with all the targets as SCSI representations.

Mark,
Is that SAT interface at the physical transport accessible
to something like smartmontools?

YES, that is the whole reason we added the physical access via /dev/ sg* in the driver!!!

You may have to do a '-d ata', the patch to smartmontools to automate this for SATA devices was not approved by Adaptec. SAS drives work.

"SAT 0.9 transport layer" does not correspond to any t10 numbering.
Is the "0.9" meant to imply that the implementation is just
shy of compliance to the SAT-1 standard? [Perhaps a version
descriptor in the INQUIRY response answers my question.]

Yes, officially shy of compliance ... but unofficially enhanced when needed when compliance issues have come up (translation: 0.9+) in Adaptec or OEM Q/A. The team responsible for the SAT layer was VERY risk averse when it came to making any changes even when introducing a new released card, so this level is true of old and new cards today.

Doug Gilbert

Sincerely -- Mark Salyzyn

FYI, my last day of in-office employment with Adaptec is August 8, aacraid@xxxxxxxxxxx for driver support will continue to be answered by the team (I may continue at my discretion or at the hands of my new employer <shrug>)

SMART was supposed to be emulated, but on that old card it was never
tested ... make sure you have the latest Firmware on the card just in
case something got fixed ...

Sincerely -- Mark Salyzyn