Re: lockdep whine in 2.6.26-rc2-mm1

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 6:23 PM, Matthew Wilcox <matthew@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 01:20:33PM +0800, Dave Young wrote:

>> > Sorry for my delay. AFAIK, there's no this kind of use.
>
> The question isn't whether there is or isn't this kind of use right now.
> The question is whether there might be this kind of use in the future,
> and if there is, whether we'd like lockdep to warn us.

In the future, IMHO, the class_interface should go away just as
class_device. If that happened this problem would going away as well.

>> I rechecked the class_interface use, the users are scsi and pcmcia.
>>
>> The two classes could call device_add/del while doing
>> class_interface_register/unregister is :
>> sg_sysfs_class
>> pcmcia_socket_class
>>
>> So is it possible to reset their lock_class instead of do __mutex_init
>> for all classes?
>
> Again, it's not about current usage, it's about future usage.  Why do
> you want all sysfs classes to have the same lockdep class?  There can
> be good reasons.  For example, if two locks are conceptually the same,
> keeping them in the same class helps you find AB-BA problems earlier.
>
> Is there a reason you don't like my idea?

Your idea is good. But as I said above, for current situation there's
no potential problems except class_interface usage, and the
class_interface will go away
 in the future.

So IMO It's not necessary to do this for all classes.

Regards
dave