Re: ->proc_info in host template

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 01:01:55AM +0400, Alexey Dobriyan wrote:
> I plan to remove ->read_proc from proc code and this will involve
> ->proc_info hook in host templates. It's marked "OBSOLETE". Is it
> obsoleted as in "will be removed" or obsoleted as in "no new such
> hooks"? Should I convert them to ->proc_fops or just remove?
> I suspect the former, in this case it will look like
>
> 	#ifdef CONFIG_PROC_FS
> 		const struct file_operations *proc_fops;
> 	#endif
>
> OK with that?

Back about five years ago when we did a bigger revamp of the scsi layer
we decided that having the unstructed proc files were a bad idea and
planned to remove them eventually.  And then for a long time nothing
happened.  So either we bite the bullet and remove them all or we need
to invest a lot of time into converting them.  In the latter case
I'd prefer to just add a ->show method and limit them to a single page
instead of adding boilerplate for the full file operations all over
the legacy scsi drivers.