Re: Discussion: soft unbinding

On Sat, 3 May 2008, James Bottomley wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-05-03 at 16:42 -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> > Of even more interest and relevance is this thread:
> >
> >         http://marc.info/?t=109630920600005&r=1&w=2
> >
> > In one of the messages in that thread, James Bottomley wrote:

> > Right.  scsi_remove_host tells the mid-layer that it's OK to trash all
> > inflight commands because you removed all their users before calling
> > it.  It also tells us that you won't accept any future commands for
> > this
> > host (because you'll error any attempt in queuecommand).
> >
> > Later on Mike Anderson asked:

> > Clarification. James, are you indicating that there needs to be a new
> > scsi mid api that performs similar function to scsi_remove_host expect
> > does not cancel commands?
> >
> > There was no real answer and things were left hanging.
> >
> > So I guess part of what I'm asking is whether the situation is now
> > significantly different.
>
> Not really ... there's never been cause to make it so.  At the beginning
> of the hotplug debate it was thought there was value in a wait for
> unplug event ... some PCI busses have a little button you push and then
> a light lights up to tell you everything's OK and you can remove the
> card.
>
> After a lot of back and forth, it was decided that the best thing for
> the latter was for userland to quiesce and unmount the filesystem,
> application or whatever and then tell the kernel it was gone, so in that
> scenario, the two paths were identical.  I don't think anything's really
> changed in that regard.

I still don't understand.  Let's say the user does unmount the
filesystem and tell the kernel it is gone.  So the LLD calls
scsi_unregister_host() and from that point on fails every call to
queuecommand.  Then how does sd transmit its final FLUSH CACHE command
to the device?  Are you saying that it doesn't need to, since
unmounting the filesystem will cause a FLUSH CACHE to be sent anyway?

Or let's put it the other way around.  Suppose the LLD doesn't start
failing calls to queuecommand until after scsi_unregister_host()
returns.  Then what about the commands that were in flight when
scsi_unregister_host() was called?  The LLD thinks it owns them, and
the midlayer thinks that _it_ owns them and can unilaterally cancel
them.  They can't both be right.

Alan Stern