Re: AIC94xx SAS question.

Keith Hopkins wrote:
> On 04/22/2008 07:19 AM, Wakko Warner wrote:
> >Can either of these be done:
> >1) Embed the firmware into the driver so that it can be used before the
> >rootfs id mounted.
>
> I think this is generally not done because firmware tends to be
> closed-source.

I can understand this from the point of the distrobution of the linux
kernel, but it still can be done.  If there were a patch or something that
would convert the file, that's all I care.  This for me would be preferred.

> >2) Can the firmware be loaded in an initr{d,amfs}?
>
> Sure.  openSuSE does it in their mkinitrd.

I'm not sure if you got the point of #2 or not.  I do *NOT* want the driver
as a module, I want it compiled into the kernel and then load the firmware
from an initramfs.

I think I figured out how to do #2, but if/when I do it is another story.  I
believe that the driver won't bind to the card if the firmware isn't
available, thus I can have it bind to the card at a later time (during
initramfs).  I tried this on my system last night (since it crashed anyway).
I loaded the module and /sys wasn't mounted.  I mounted /sys and told the
driver to bind my card and it worked.

 Got Gas???