RE: MPTSAS: ("activate status led" | "find disc") in external enclosure

On  Wednesday, April 23, 2008 2:12 AM, Lars Täuber wrote:
> I hoped I had the newet version of the firmware on the HBA.
> monosan:~ # cat /sys/class/scsi_host/host6/version_fw
> 01.24.01.00

This is code was release back in December, so its fairly new.

> > I would like to point out there is a firmware request for
> sending SEP request, for instance setting LEDS.   Here is a
> copy of the structure.  We call this function to set LED when
> there is SMART errors (for non-raid devices).  For RAID, the
> firmware handles it.   Is this what your looking for?
>
> I'm not firm enough with scsi to understand all your words.
> But the problem I have is not that something doesn't work. It
> works with 2.6.25.
> I can get the LEDs to blink. I can choose which one should
> do. I simply don't know which one it should be.
>
> The problem is, I wanted to simultate a faulty drive without
> being one faulty.
> Therefore I choosed a (working) disk to be faulty by its
> mutlipath-name: dm-9
> Then I found out which disk it is in sd? notation. Then I
> read the serial number of this disk with the smartmontools.
> Now I want this LED of the bay containing the disk with this
> serial number to blink. But I can't find out which LED
> matches which serial number of the containing disk.

The current driver will set the faulty LED when there is sense ASC = 0x5D, meaning smart error.   This will occurr from the device driver for devices not belonging to a RAID volume.  If its in a RAID volume, the firmware will handle setting the LED.    You can verify this by adding a printk inside the source code:  From function mptscsih_copy_sense_data(), scroll down to "Log Smart Data", add it here after the check on 0x5D.   Also mptscish_issue_sep_command() is called to send the SEP command to set the LED.   This is found in /usr/src/linux/drivers/message/fusion/mptscsih.c.

Also, you should be able to figure out which slot your device inside your enclosure.   Each enclousre will have a unique enclosoure logical id, which is simailar to a sas address.  Each device that is in inside the enclosure is assigned a slot id, which is the same as a bay indentifier.   If you have a SAS device, it will have the sas_address on the sticker.  Then with that sas_address, you can search inside /sys/class/sas_device, that will tell you which end device it is.  Within that, you will see the bay identifier, which is the slot id.  The slot id I guess is assigned from 0 to the largest number you have of slots in your enclosure, probally from left to right.  If you look inside the expanders, you will see the enslosure logical id.   If you have more than one expander in the enclosure, they all have the same enclosure logical id.

Eric