Re: Help On Adaptec SAS Controller AD-483000

On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 16:32 -0700, Sanjay Gandotra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ok, the issue I have is the following:
>
> I have connected a SATA Port Multiplier to AD-483000. And I have two sata drives connected to the Sata port multiplier (one at port 0 and second at port 1)
> My Linux Kernel is 2.6.24.3. I am using the drivers in the kernel.. aic94xx and libsas
>
> The drive at port 0 of the sata port multiplier is detected nicely. The problem is that the second drive on the port multiplier is not detected.
> After investigations.. I figured out that no one is trying to do sata port multiplier initialisation and detection. After reading the sata spec etc., I tried to modify libsas so that before detecting any sata device, it would send out FIS (soft reset ) to sata port 15 with SRST bit set to 1 followed by another FIS to sata port 15 with SRST bit set to 0.
>
> The first FIS goes out. I can see it on a SATA analyzer. The second  FIS never goes out...
> Adaptec's driver.. is giving errors for the first FIS.

I'm afraid the basic source of the problem is that port multiplier
support in libsas is stubbed out.  No-one developing the driver actually
has a port multiplier (and we assumed that everyone would use expanders
anyway).

The place to begin is in libsas/sas_ata.c:sas_discover_stat_pm() which
basically returns -ENODEV at the moment.

James