Mysterious hangs of system.

Hi all,

I have 44 supermicro PDSMi servers running linux 2.6.17.13.
Each of these systems have a Promise Super Trak EX16350 controller with 16 WDC
WD5000ABYS-01TNA disks connected.
The controllers have BIOS 2.9.022 installed and the stex driver used is
version 2.9.0.16.
These servers are used in a backup-to-disk environment and are connected via
NFS to 4 backup servers.
Now every few days, mostly at night, one of these servers hang for about 40
minutes which can be defined as not accepting any TCP/IP connections; no
crontab jobs (sar) are run.  After this period that can vary from 5 minutes
to 60 minutes spontaneously the system becomes available again and
disconnects the stex controller device not the disks.

This also occurs with the latest version of Linux 2.6.23.1 but in this version
it has as a more negative effect as also both devices created on these disks
are offlined and the system hangs for the same amount of time. With the newer
version of the kernel I also get an handshake failure message.  As the root
filesystem is on these disks too I cannot login into the server and have to
reboot the system after what the system comes up like nothing has happened.
With the newer version of the kernel and stex driver the system is also
unstable when I allow the system to start in SMP then I cannot even create a
ext3 filesystem as I get a kernel panic in add_list telling me the pointers
are corrupt.

Question has anybody else encountered these problem? In what direction do I
have to seek is this a issue with the stex driver or stex firmware?

Thanks in advance

Mike.

-