RE: [RFC 0/7] Introduce swiotlb throttling

From: Petr Tesařík <petr@xxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2024 11:45 PM

> [...]
> >
> > Because network drivers generally cannot use swiotlb throttling, it is
> > still possible for swiotlb memory to become exhausted. But blunting
> > the maximum swiotlb memory used by storage devices can significantly
> > reduce the peak usage, and a smaller amount of swiotlb memory can be
> > allocated in a CoCo VM. Also, usage by storage drivers is likely to
> > overall be larger than for network drivers, especially when large
> > numbers of disk devices are in use, each with many I/O requests in-
> > flight.
>
> The system can also handle network packet loss much better than I/O
> errors, mainly because lost packets have always been part of normal
> operation, unlike I/O errors. After all, that's why we unmount all
> filesystems on removable media before physically unplugging (or
> ejecting) them.
>
> > swiotlb throttling does not affect the context requirements of DMA
> > unmap calls. These always complete without blocking, even if the
> > corresponding DMA map call was throttled.
> >
> > Patches
> > =======
> > Patches 1 and 2 implement the core of swiotlb throttling. They define
> > DMA attribute flag DMA_ATTR_MAY_BLOCK that device drivers use to
> > indicate that a DMA map call is allowed to block, and therefore can be
> > throttled. They update swiotlb_tbl_map_single() to detect this flag and
> > implement the throttling. Similarly, swiotlb_tbl_unmap_single() is
> > updated to handle a previously throttled request that has now freed
> > its swiotlb memory.
> >
> > Patch 3 adds the dma_recommend_may_block() call that device drivers
> > can use to know if there's benefit in using the MAY_BLOCK option on
> > DMA map calls. If not in a CoCo VM, this call returns "false" because
> > swiotlb is not being used for all DMA I/O. This allows the driver to
> > set the BLK_MQ_F_BLOCKING flag on blk-mq request queues only when
> > there is benefit.
> >
> > Patch 4 updates the SCSI-specific DMA map calls to add a "_attrs"
> > variant to allow passing the MAY_BLOCK attribute.
> >
> > Patch 5 adds the MAY_BLOCK option to the Hyper-V storvsc driver, which
> > is used for storage in CoCo VMs in the Azure public cloud.
> >
> > Patches 6 and 7 add the MAY_BLOCK option to the NVMe PCI host driver.
> >
> > Discussion
> > ==========
> > * Since swiotlb isn't visible to device drivers, I've specifically
> > named the DMA attribute as MAY_BLOCK instead of MAY_THROTTLE or
> > something swiotlb specific. While this patch set consumes MAY_BLOCK
> > only on the DMA direct path to do throttling in the swiotlb code,
> > there might be other uses in the future outside of CoCo VMs, or
> > perhaps on the IOMMU path.
>
> I once introduced a similar flag and called it MAY_SLEEP. I chose
> MAY_SLEEP, because there is already a might_sleep() annotation, but I
> don't have a strong opinion unless your semantics is supposed to be
> different from might_sleep(). If it is, then I strongly prefer

My intent is that the semantics are the same as might_sleep(). I
vacillated between MAY_SLEEP and MAY_BLOCK. The kernel seems
to treat "sleep" and "block" as equivalent, because blk-mq has
the BLK_MQ_F_BLOCKING flag, and SCSI has the
queuecommand_may_block flag that is translated to
BLK_MQ_F_BLOCKING. So I settled on MAY_BLOCK, but as you
point out, that's inconsistent with might_sleep(). Either way will
be inconsistent somewhere, and I don't have a preference.

> > * The swiotlb throttling code in this patch set throttles by
> > serializing the use of swiotlb memory when usage is above a designated
> > threshold: i.e., only one new swiotlb request is allowed to proceed at
> > a time. When the corresponding unmap is done to release its swiotlb
> > memory, the next request is allowed to proceed. This serialization is
> > global and without knowledge of swiotlb areas. From a storage I/O
> > performance standpoint, the serialization is a bit restrictive, but
> > the code isn't trying to optimize for being above the threshold. If a
> > workload regularly runs above the threshold, the size of the swiotlb
> > memory should be increased.
>
> With CONFIG_SWIOTLB_DYNAMIC, this could happen automatically in the
> future. But let's get the basic functionality first.
>
> > * Except for knowing how much swiotlb memory is currently allocated,
> > throttle accounting is done without locking or atomic operations. For
> > example, multiple requests could proceed in parallel when usage is
> > just under the threshold, putting usage above the threshold by the
> > aggregate size of the parallel requests. The threshold must already be
> > set relatively conservatively because of drivers that can't enable
> > throttling, so this slop in the accounting shouldn't be a problem.
> > It's better than the potential bottleneck of a globally synchronized
> > reservation mechanism.
>
> Agreed.
>
> > * In a CoCo VM, mapping a scatter/gather list makes an independent
> > swiotlb request for each entry. Throttling each independent request
> > wouldn't really work, so the code throttles only the first SGL entry.
> > Once that entry passes any throttle, subsequent entries in the SGL
> > proceed without throttling. When the SGL is unmapped, entries 1 thru
> > N-1 are unmapped first, then entry 0 is unmapped, allowing the next
> > serialized request to proceed.
> >
> > Open Topics
> > 1. swiotlb allocations from Xen and the IOMMU code don't make use of
> > throttling. This could be added if beneficial.
> >
> > 2. The throttling values are currently exposed and adjustable in
> > /sys/kernel/debug/swiotlb. Should any of this be moved so it is
> > visible even without CONFIG_DEBUG_FS?
>
> Yes. It should be possible to control the thresholds through sysctl.

Good point.  I was thinking about creating /sys/kernel/swiotlb, but
sysctl is better.

Michael