Re: Samsung t5 / t3 problem with ncq trim

Hello Martin

so, there was no error, only death and misery...
ok, storytime
I used a t5 for school (because we needed to use a t5, because the
school sold it for double the price)
So, my ssd got really slow over the time, we were not allowed to use a
other filesystem than ntfs, so i thought that it was simply because of
this.
But it go down to about 500 kbs. Had a talk with a teacher, he told
me, something like fuck the rules, reformate it to exfat, ntfs is just
shit...
So, it didn't do a lot. Initialy the problem was only while using
gnu/linux, but later also while using windows (school computer).
This went on a few weeks, till the vm's on the disk got corrupted, the
first 2 weeks or so was after runing them a few times, after that just
by copying them on the disk.
Speed was low af... So, i contacted the support, this was like: "we
are legally required to support you, but no"
So i got back to my teacher, he sended me a new disk. I got the disk,
tested the speed on my gaming pc (windows), that was good.
Got on my working machine, copyed the vm's to the disk and the speed
just droped... had a call with the teacher on 2am, we did some
research on this ssd and figured out, that the t5 (and also t3) are
just samsung 850 with an usb-c adapter.
The 850 had a problem with ncq trim, disks randomly died and got slow
af with linux.
So, i took a look at the ata drivers and found the
ata_device_blacklist in libata-core.c.
My idea was to just add those 2 ssds to it:
{ "Samsung Portable SSD T5",    NULL,   ATA_HORKAGE_NO_NCQ_TRIM |
                                        ATA_HORKAGE_ZERO_AFTER_TRIM, },
{ "Samsung Portable SSD T3",    NULL,   ATA_HORKAGE_NO_NCQ_TRIM |
                                        ATA_HORKAGE_ZERO_AFTER_TRIM, },
Sent a mail to linux-ide, Damien Le Moal respondet, that it's probably
the usb-c adapter causing the problem and that i should contact the
maintainer of uas.c...
And here we are...

So, that's the short version of the storry, i hope, that this helps...

Best regards

Sven Hugi

--
Sven Hugi