Re: [LSF/MM/BFP ATTEND] [LSF/MM/BFP TOPIC] Storage: Copy Offload

On 16.11.2021 09:59, Bart Van Assche wrote:
On 11/16/21 05:43, Javier González wrote:
            - Here, we need copy emulation to support encryption without dealing with HW issues and garbage

Hi Javier,

Thanks very much for having taken notes and also for having shared these.

My pleasure. Thanks for attending. Happy to see this moving.

Regarding the above comment, after the meeting I learned that the above is not correct. Encryption in Android is LBA independent and hence it should be possible to offload F2FS garbage collection in Android once the (UFS) storage controller supports this.

For the general case, I propose to let the dm-crypt driver decide whether or not to offload data copying since that driver knows whether or not data copying can be offloaded.

Thanks for sharing this. We will make sure that DM / MD are supported
and then we can cover examples. Hopefully, you guys can help with the
bits for dm-crypt to make the decision to offload when it make sense.

I will update the notes to keep them alive. Maybe we can have them open
in your github page?

Thanks,

Bart.