Re: [RFC 16/16] lpfc: vmid: Introducing vmid in io path.

On 07/08/20 14:17, Muneendra Kumar M wrote:
> And I was talking about at the below one PIDS(3627) .And with the help of
> these PIDS I was able to reach blkcg.
> Correct me if iam going in a wrong direction.
> And even when I run the below command it pointed me to the same pid.
> cat
> /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio/machine.slice/machine-qemu\\x2d7\\x2dtestmmkvm1.scope/tasks
> 3627  -->/usr/libexec/qemu-kvm -name testmmkvm1
> 3655 --> [kvm-nx-lpage-re]
> 3658--> vhost-3627
>
> And I was talking about the above PIDS(3627) to be passed to the interface
> along with UUID.

The cgroup exists even before the VM is started and waiting for the PID
to appear would be racy.  The PID is *not* a representation of the VM,
the cgroup is (or at least it's the closest thing).

Using the PID would lead to an API that is easy to misuse.  For example
say you have a random QEMU process that has not been placed in a cgroup,
for whatever reason.  If someone doesn't understand that the API uses
the PID just as a proxy for the cgroup, they could end up classifying
*all traffic from the host* with the VMID.  If the API uses cgroups as
the fundamental concept instead, it's much harder to make this mistake.

>> There is no need for any daemon, and I'm not even sure which daemon would
>> be handling this.
>
> Iam talking about FC transport daemon.
> One of the feature of this daemon is to track all the running VM's and push
> the appid information to the blk cgroup via the interface provided by the
> fabric

There is no need for this daemon.  The cgroups can be initialized by
whatever takes care of starting the VM, for example libvirt.  How would
the daemon learn about the VM PIDs and UUIDs, besides?

Paolo