Re: [RFC 16/16] lpfc: vmid: Introducing vmid in io path.

On 07/08/20 13:24, Muneendra Kumar M wrote:
> Hi Paolo,
> Below are my replies.
>
>>> 3.As part of this interface user/deamon will provide the details of
>>> VM such as UUID,PID on VM creation to the transport .
>>> The VM process, or the container process, is likely to be
>>> unprivileged and cannot obtain the permissions needed to do this;
>>> therefore, you need to cope with the situation where there is no PID
>>> yet in the cgroup, because the tool >that created the VM or container
>>> might be initializing the cgroup, but it might not have started the
>>> VM yet.  In that case there would be no PID.
>>
>> Agreed.A
>> small doubt. If the VM is started (running)then we can have the PID and
>> we
>> can use the  PID?
>> Yes, but it's too late when the VM is started.  In general there's no
>> requirement that a cgroup is setup shortly before it is populated.
>
> This should be ok .
>
> The fabric  interface just provides a mechanism to store user
> specific data into a pid blkcg
>
> Before the daemon issues the UUID and pid to the fabric interface, it needs
> to check whether the VM is in running state or not.
>
> If it the VM is in running state then only it issues the VM details.
>
> And if the  cgroup's are not setup as you mentioned the interface will
> return a failure(with a proper logs) and the daemon will retry after some
> time.
>
> And this also helps us to keep track of PID to UUID mapping at daemon level.

Why would that be useful?  Again, the mapping of the UUID is _not_ to a
PID, it is to a cgroup.  There is no concept of a VM PID; you could
legitimately have I/O in a separate process than say the QEMU process,
and that I/O process could legitimately reside in a separate blkcg than
QEMU.

There is no need for any daemon, and I'm not even sure which daemon
would be handling this.  App identifier should be purely a kernel
concept with no userspace state.

Paolo