Re: Data corruption in kernel 5.1+ with iSER attached ramdisk

Hi Sagi,

On Thu, Dec 5, 2019 at 4:17 AM Sagi Grimberg <sagi@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Just got this one (Thanks for CCing me Ming, been extremely busy
> lately).

No problem, thanks for looking into it!

> So it looks from the report that this is the immediate-data and
> unsolicited data-out flows, which indeed seem to violate the alignment
> assumption. The reason is that isert post recv a contig rx_desc which
> has both the headers and the data, and when it gets immediate_data it
> will set the data sg to rx_desc+offset (which are the headers).
>
> Stephen,
> As a work-around for now, you should turn off immediate-data in your LIO
> target. I'll work on a fix.

I have confirmed that turning off ImmediateData in the target (and
reconnecting) is a successful workaround for this test case. All of
the I/O as reported by bio_add_page() is aligned.

Using the previously described bpftrace script with 512 offset:

# bpftrace lio.bt
Attaching 4 probes...
512 0
512 0 1 131071
4096 0
4096 0 0 0
4096 0
4096 0 0 8
4096 0
4096 0 0 131064
4096 0
4096 0 1 131064
4096 0
4096 0 0 0
4096 0
4096 0 0 8
512 0
512 0 0 131071
4096 0
4096 0 0 130944
4096 0
4096 0 0 131056

> Thanks for reporting!

Please let me know if you need any additional information, or if I can
assist further. I would be happy to test any patches when you are
ready.

Thanks,
Steve