Re: [Open-FCoE] FICON target support

Hi,

On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 10:08 AM Hannes Reinecke <hare@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> There are easier ways for this ... I'd start with virtio-ccw and
> implement a virtual PUNCHER there ...

The larger project scope is making FICON accessories more available
for people as crazy as I, that is wanting to run a mainframe as a
hobbyist, but maybe not want to buy a metric ton worth of disks or
tape robots (a 700 kg mainframe is hard enough by itself to house).

I will take a look, but from the name of it it sounds like it will not
help me much getting FICON targets supported.
Maybe it will help if I ever want FICON initiator.

> Still, an uphill struggle; IBM is notorious for not giving out details
> about the internals, and simulating a puncher is one of these things.
> (And slightly pointless, but who am I to judge ...)

It's a low-speed peripheral that has been emulated successfully in
Hercules, and there
are some petty detailed documents around the CCWs for 3505 around. I
figured it would
be a good start getting a FICON user-space thing implemented, before I
try to tackle e.g. ECKDs or tapes.

> However, I do wonder how you came by an FC analyser ... any chance of me
> borrowing it occasionally?

If you search for Cisco DS-PAA-2 you will find an old accessory used to debug
Cisco SAN switches for FC. It only supports 1 and 2 Gigabit, but the
nice thing is
that it encapsulates the packets as Ethernet frames so you can use
e.g. Wireshark
to debug what is going on. They cost around $50 on eBay. I have an
extra that I probably
will not use if you want it. It arrived yesterday so I have not had
time to verify the function
yet but it should be dead simple that it should work for anything
using FC-1 coding I guess.

Regards,
Chris