FICON target support

Hi,

I am doing some preliminary scouting of how one could add support for
FICON (FC-SB-3 specifically). I am mostly interested in Linux being
able to act as a FICON target for now.

The TL;DR summary for FICON is that it uses Fibre Channel just like FCP/SCSI
up to but not including the FC-4 (FCP) layer. At that point it uses its own
SBCCS layer.

FICON is used by IBM mainframes to interface peripherals like tape, disk,
printers, card punchers/readers, etc. It is more like a mainframe USB/Firewire
than SCSI in that regard.

I would prefer to implement my peripherals in user-space, I don't see any
convincing case for having e.g. a virtual tape drive running in kernel space.
The I/O heavy disks would probably benefit from being in kernel space, but I am
OK limiting the initial scope.

I am 100% new to the SCSI and Fibre Channel subsystem in Linux, and I
do not even know if the current HBAs support sending frames without FCP
but after scouting the code it does seem that it might work out - FCP
seems decoupled enough.

If you want to learn more the standard document Wireshark has an
implementation of the protocol (packet-fcsb3.c/h). If you want all the details
you will sadly have to pay $60 and buy it from INCITS at
https://webstore.ansi.org/Standards/INCITS/INCITS3742003S2013.
Fwiw, FICON uses FC type 0x1B and 0x1C.

Any thoughts or ideas where you would start? Do you see any future for this
addition to the kernel?

Thanks in advance,
Chris