Re: AIC94XX discovery timeout problem details...

--- malahal@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I am planning to process port/phy events in two phases. Phase-I sets up
> asd_sas_port, asd_sas_phy lists and calls the LLDD with a correct
> phy_mask. Phase-II is done in the thread context by queuing to the scsi
> work queue that involves setting up sysfs objects.  Still there would be
> just one thread setting up/tearing down sysfs objects that should avoid
> any races.
>
> Would appreciate any suggestions or issues with this approach.

Malahal,

Your persev erance is commen dable.  Unfortunately this approach is too
simplistic and naive, no offence intended.  That is, such an approach
seems to be the first thing that "pops" into someone's head on how
to do it and a more elaborate analysis of the protocol is warranted
when coding such concepts.  That is, you want to handle the absolute
general case of _more than one type of event_. (This is not intuitive.)

You should take a look at the "patches" submitted by Bottomley and Hellwig
in the areas of event infra, event processing, and discovery, since
I posted the SAS Stack:
  - The Priority Queue Without Duplication Implementation (sas_event.c)
for queueing infinitely many events in finite storage, sorted by arrival
time, where insertion is O(1) and ordered removal is O(1) has
been completely removed.  For some reason they called it "long queue"
in the subject line of their message or in the body, cannot remember.
  - Threaded event processing has been completely removed.
  - Threaded discovery has been removed for the more naive and simplistic,
do-it-all-now-at-once way.

Add to this the fact that some things shouldn't be done "right now",
even though they happened "right now", but should be done "way later"
because you want other things which depend on those things to ...
This isn't intuitive, but is the result of careful analysis of the protocol.

That is, since my original posting of the SAS Stack, Bottomley's refusal
to accept it into the kernel has resulted in what you have right now.

But look on the bright side: just take a look at the mailing list at how
many people are now employed by this?  Five, six people?  So from another
angle, Bottomley's refusal to accept what is the beginning of an enterprise
level SAS Stack written by one person, and his subsequent "patches" has
now created jobs for at least 5 people, and keeps another 1 or 2 busy with
something to do.

Good luck! (Because you're going to need it.)
   Luben
P.S. I even wrote a proposal for a presentation at OLS this year ('06) to
describe the design and architectural decisions of the SAS Stack and SAS LLDD,
as well as talk about SATL and future SCSI directions and while this proposal
was initialy approved, then later it was silently dropped.  The details are in
the archives of linux-scsi.  Good luck!

-