Re: Any known issues to cause data miscompares on sg read/write on 2.6.15.4 and 2.6.18-rc2?

Fajun Chen wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> The part of the puzzle is that I have not found a baseline where it
> works. I do need to do more controlled and comparative testing. One on
> my list is to test the same code on i386 hardware.  It's also a good
> idea to test without using SG as you suggested. But what are my
> alternatives to get both PATA and SATA support without sg? sd
> interface, sg read/write instead of sg ioctl (probably little code

Fajun,
I assume you meant "_sd_ read/write instead of sg ioctl". If
so, then FYI, the SG_IO ioctl is available on all block devices
that accept SCSI commands in the lk 2.6 series. There are
some small differences (see www.torque.net/sg/sg_io.html )
but I would think that your test programs using the sg
driver should work ok with the sd driver. Direct and
mmap()-ed IO are done differently.

> difference here).  For PATA, IDE path may be worthy of testing, but it
> would require quite extensive change to my test application.

>From Russell King's earlier response it sounds like
it could be an architecture issue. Quite a few
folks use the sg driver for SCSI and SATA device
bashing.

Doug Gilbert

-