Re: [linux-usb-devel] Stoneridge Optac Download Tool

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006, Klaus Muth wrote:

> Yep, I noticed the missing spaces, that is the reason why I added those
> markers (>...<) in the kprint message. But I didn't know, that this is a
> violation of the SCSI standard.

It is.  However, the device claims to support ANSI SCSI revision 0, which
isn't a real standard at all.  It's more like saying: "I will support
whatever most of the pre-1990 SCSI devices supported, approximately."

> Yes, it did mount and I was able to read the data on it and it was possible to
> create and delete files on the device. (see above, I said "this thin
> magically works", forgetting the 'g' at "thing"). Adding the OPTAC Tool to
> the static table may be the best fix at the moment, since my servers depend
> heavily on SCSI, changing something more complicated than adding something to
> a list will render me sleepless...

That does sound like the simplest solution for now.

> I'm not really happy with this solution, since
> 1. the static table is obsolete and may vanish some day as a comment says
> 2. I have to compile and test a new kernel for my 10 production servers
> 3. the device firmware may change in near future, it seems not to be finished
>    according to the facts you found out.
>
> Thank you very much for your help. I'm working now for over 10 years with
> linux and I'm constantly astonished, how nice and helpful all those community
> members are, when problems arise :).

You're welcome.

Alan Stern

-