Re: [RFC] qla4xxx: TODO for re-submission

Ravi Anand wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 Jun 2006, Mike Christie wrote:
>
>> Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 16:35:45 -0500
>> From: Mike Christie <michaelc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>> To: Ravi Anand <ravi.anand@xxxxxxxxxx>
>> CC: Doug Maxey <dwm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>> 	David Somayajulu <davidcs2005@xxxxxxxxx>,
>> 	Duane Grigsby <duane.grigsby@xxxxxxxxxx>,
>> 	linux-scsi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, dwm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> Subject: Re: [RFC] qla4xxx: TODO for re-submission

>>> Our preference is also to have the scanning for all the HBA's which
>>> does the discovery of the tgt's in the kernel space. This way we are
>>> consistent with all the HBA's which does the port discovery like
>>> the FC HBA's. Our iSCSI HBA's is similar in that regard.
>> Yeah, but your HBA can also function in connection mode and just use
>> open-iscsi's login code too. I am not saying that is that way to go. I
>> am just saying that there are alternatives.
>
> Agreed. But it was added later on. So the driver always used the session mode.

And we never redo iscsi drivers right ;)

>>> As you have already stated, it simplies support from distro perspective
>>> as well.
>>>
>> It does for qla4xxx, but I think you then have to go and fix it so
>> iscsi_tcp and iscsi_iser sync up with userspace correctly if you convert
>> them. Either that or we maintain two ways of scanning for iscsi drivers.
>
> I like the later part. Keeping it seperate.

I think I was only kidding about that option. But now we have votes for
every possible solution :)

You also still have the iSNS issue. That will be in userspace, so one
day you will have to modify the distros to do iscsi root when using iSNS
and use iSNS for installer targets.
-