Re: [RFC] qla4xxx: TODO for re-submission

>On Mon, 12 Jun 2006, Mike Christie wrote:
> Doug Maxey wrote:
> > 5) add the block layer code.
>
> Some related issues that we have discussed offlist about this and should
> probably be discussed here are:
>
> - Are we supposed to follow FC's lead and remove the devices (rport,
> session, target, scsi_device, etc) if the dev_loss_tmo fires. Currently
> for software iscsi, we leave the devices/session. This was to reduce
> memory allocations and because software iscsi has to basically poll the
> connection during connect as part of the relogin process. So unlike FC
> or hw iscsi, if we remove the devices/structs we have to end up
> rebuilding some of them right away anyways.
>
> Removing the devices has the benefit of simplifying the scsi/iscsi code.
>
> - Scanning. We currently do scanning for open-iscsi in userspace. For
> iscsi root this requires distro support. SUSE has it. Fedora is working
> on it. There is also Debian and Gentoo users or maintainers posting
> about working on it. For qla4xxx, we could stick the scanning in the
> kernel like FC and distros would not have to worry about it, but since
> they have to get this working for software iscsi do we just keep the
> scanning in userspace?

Our preference is also to have the scanning for all the HBA's which
does the discovery of the tgt's in the kernel space. This way we are
consistent with all the HBA's which does the port discovery like
the FC HBA's. Our iSCSI HBA's is similar in that regard.

As you have already stated, it simplies support from distro perspective
as well.

Ravi

-