Re: [Fwd: [RFT] major libata update]

--- James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 19:39 -0700, Luben Tuikov wrote:
> > Apparently you have no detailed knowlege of the implementation of
> > SCSI storage stacks, for example: driver->fw->interconnect->device.
>
> Well, I'm sure I read about it in a comic book somewhere ...

And so your correspondence agrees...

> > You also fail to understand who the "I" and "T" could be in an
> > I_T_x_x nexus at each stage of an implementation.
> >
> > You also fail to understand that a SAM nexus is not necessarily
> > established
> > when queuecommand() is called.
>
> I didn't say it was.  The point, which you're ignoring, is that when the
> driver knows the SAM nexus is terminated, it should call ->done() ASAP

No, I'm not saying that.  Not at all.  You simply don't understand.

There is no way I can explain it to you unless I educate you.  And I'm not
willing to do that.

> to inform the mid-layer of this condition, so the mid-layer model of the
> device interactions follows the SAM interactions as closely as possible.
> The API you want to introduce and the implementation of it in libata lie
> to the mid-layer and pretend the nexus still exists when the driver
> knows it doesn't ... what I'm saying is that I see no reason to do that.

Stop trying to convince the world that SCSI Core has any resemblance
to SAM.  It doesn't.  It is a far cry from it.

There is no "mid-layer model" and there is no SAM resemblance.

     Luben

-