Re: IO Data USB HD - read/write with SGIO ioctl does not acces the drive, kernel 2.6.15.6

On Mon, 2006-05-15 at 16:15 -0400, Dario Oliva wrote:
> I am trying to use the SG_IO ioctl from the scsi driver to read and
> write raw
> data to this USB hard drive (IO Data USB HD). I have googled the device
> name and
> only came up with 13 sites, none of which had any information for this
> problem.
> This is a link to a reseller in California who sells the device I am using
> http://www.devicenet-usa.com/product_en.html#hdp
>
> To verify that the data was not being written from the device or read
> from the device,
> I used a protocol analyzer connected to the hard disk While sending the
> read or write
> commands using SG_IO, there was no activity on the disk. I have also
> used a program I wrote
> that reads individual sectors from a disk and displays the data in a
> format similar to hexdump.
> The output from that program is also attached, in the file named data.
> As you will see, I did a read
> several times from sector 0, receiving different slightly different
> values every time.

SG_IO seems to be working fine for me on SCSI devices.  Could you use
sg_dd (on the /dev/sd<x> node) to determine if this may be some problem
with your applications usage of SG_IO (i.e. compare the results of an
ordinary dd and a sg_dd of the same part of the disc).

Thanks,

James

-