Re: [RFC] libata support for async scanning

On Sat, May 13, 2006 at 01:16:46AM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> >I don't think SATA target scanning occupies a huge amount of boot time,
> >however it will currently force all async scanners to complete before it
> >scans.  The Rolls-Royce solution would be somethinkg akin to the new
> >scsi_scan_host(), but I don't think that's necessaary.  This patch just
> >acknowledges that async scanning exists and will permit the drive
> >additions to finish some time after libata has triggered the probe.
>
> This seems to add needless complexity.

It doesn't, honest.

> The internal probe is complete before the loop begins.  Thus,
> ata_scan_scan_host() is simply walking data structures in memory (due to
> SCSI simulator) for ATA devices, and for ATAPI devices parallelism is
> largely inadvisable :)  Its overkill, and in some rare cases could make
> debugging more annoying.

It won't be parallelised with respect to itself, just with respect to
other scsi scans.  See my message
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-scsi&m=114735805518594&w=2

Without this patch (on top of that one), libata's calls to
scsi_scan_target() will block until all asynchronous scans have
completed (see the conditional call to scsi_complete_async_scans() in
scsi_scan_target()).  With this patch, libata will scan the targets
in parallel with other scsi hosts scanning their targets.  It will still
block, but it'll do it later, when it calls scsi_finish_async_scan().

Hmm.  Maybe I can improve the API such that scsi_finish_async_scan()
won't make it block ...

Anyway, the point here is actually to make your life easier.  If someone
has a lot of scsi hosts and libata doesn't have this patch, all of a
sudden people are going to be asking you why libata's taking so long to
initialise.  And if you debug it, you'll find it's sleeping in
scsi_complete_async_scans().
-