Re: [RFC] libata support for async scanning

Matthew Wilcox wrote:
I don't think SATA target scanning occupies a huge amount of boot time,
however it will currently force all async scanners to complete before it
scans.  The Rolls-Royce solution would be somethinkg akin to the new
scsi_scan_host(), but I don't think that's necessaary.  This patch just
acknowledges that async scanning exists and will permit the drive
additions to finish some time after libata has triggered the probe.

This seems to add needless complexity.

The internal probe is complete before the loop begins. Thus, ata_scan_scan_host() is simply walking data structures in memory (due to SCSI simulator) for ATA devices, and for ATAPI devices parallelism is largely inadvisable :) Its overkill, and in some rare cases could make debugging more annoying.

	Jeff

-