RE: ATA Pass-Through support

SG_IO
> ATA passthru encapsalating an ATA command inside a SCSI CDB?
> If so, I don't think the firmware folks have not implemented that yet.
> When that is completed, I expect no change in driver, as its simply
> passthru, and the firmware will handle the request. There is an
> alternative,
> you can send an IOCTL=MPT_COMMAND IOCTL using
> the mptctl driver with the function set to
> MPI_FUNCTION_SATA_PASSTHROUGH.
>

> Eric Moore
> LSI Logic

Doug,
SG_IO ioctl provides SCSI pass-through. It's the new SCSI extensions ATA
Pass-Through commands (A1H and 85H) that sort of encapsulate ATA command
in a SCSI CDB. My application is using this interface to perform SMART
related functions to SATA drives. Could you please provide me with more
information on your MPT_COMMAND_IOCTL and MPI_FUNCTION_SATA_PASSTHROUGH?

Does anyone know of any SAS HBA vendor whose driver either uses libata
or supports SATA Pass-Through SCSI commands in their own layer?

Thanks,
Quat Le
-