Re: [Linux-usb-users] USB floppy drive no longer works under 2.6.15-rc6

On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 10:50:15AM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
> [Moved to linux-scsi]
>
> On Mon, 9 Jan 2006, Matthew Dharm wrote:
>
> > A long time ago, I noticed a quirk of the UFI specification in regards to
> > one of the options for how to indicate a LUN isn't there.  Something about
> > a special PDT, I think, in the INQUIRY respose.  I don't recall the
> > details, but I do recall thinking something along the lines of "that's
> > odd.. and it's going to confuse the SCSI core."
> >
> > If I can find some time to search for that oddity of spec, then modify the
> > UFI protocol handler to translate that oddity into a result code the SCSI
> > core can understand, you can close the #2 case.
>
> I see what you mean.  The UFI spec requires a device to return 0x1f in the
> first byte of the INQUIRY response if no device is present at the LUN.
> That's Peripheral Qualifier = 0 and PDT = 0x1f (unknown or no device).
> Now SCSI-2 requires the value to be 0x7f to indicate no device, but UFI
> also requires the returned SCSI level to be 0, and I don't know what
> SCSI-0 says about reporting no device at a LUN.

SCSI-0 doesn't exist.  SCSI level 0 means "not really SCSI".

> Does anybody among the SCSI developers have the answer?  Should
> scsi_probe_and_add_lun() check for (result[0] & 0x1f) == 0x1f whenever
> (result[2] & 0x07) == 0?
>
> If not, perhaps usb-storage should alter the returned value and max_lun
> for a UFI device whenever we see 0x1f.

That was my intention.  I've just never gotten around to doing it and
testing it.

Matt

--
Matthew Dharm                              Home: mdharm-usb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx