Re: Booting from or using a Compaq RA4100 Array

Eike,

I think I've resigned myself to the fact that it won't boot.  I've done a
bit of digging by directly sending commands to the unit.  I'm not sure why
I can't force scsi_scan to do a REPORT_LUN on it through the Black List,
but what I know is that it reports luns as 0x40...00 - 0x40...MAX_LUNS -
they are reported as flat addressing, according to the SCSI Architecture
Manual.

Since TYPE_RAID implements a standard (albeit deprecated), it might
actually be worth trying to create a driver for it.  The real question I
have is whether I could get at the drives simply by masking the LUN's like
the cpqfc driver does, or whether something like BLIST_SPARSE_LUNS would
do the trick, or maybe even a new blasklist entry like
BLIST_FLAT_LUN_ADDRESSING.

Here's a quote from cpqfcTSworker.c:
// e.g., the Compaq RA4x00 f/w Rev 2.54 and above may report
// LUNs 4001, 4004, etc., because other LUNs are masked from
// this HBA (owned by someone else).  We'll make those appear as
// LUN 0, 1... to Linux

I'm not sure what the direction of Linux is at this point, but there are a
lot of RA4x00's out there for cheap and they (at least initially) seemed
like a good entry-level FC RAID system.  Also, I'm not sure how strange of
a beast the RA4x00 is.  If it's a one-off, maybe I could create a specific
driver for it that acts as a LUN masker.  If there are more, it may make
sense to make the changes necessary to deal with flat addressing.

At this point, I'm convinced that it would be a minor change to at least
the scsi_scan code to deal with TYPE_RAID.  I'm a bit more concerned about
how widespread a change like flat addressing would be.

Mark

-