Re: Booting from or using a Compaq RA4100 Array

Mark Schaefer wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have a couple of these arrays I purchased from eBay.  Apparently, they
>don't work with any other controller card, except cpqfc, which is
>unsupported in the 2.6 kernel.  Has anyone gotten these working on a
>different card?  If so, is it possible to boot off of this array?  I'm
>using Emulex LP8000's, but have the 64-bit/66MHz Compaq cards for
>configuration.
>
>	James Bottomley mentioned that it supported the SCC-2 spec, which is
>now deprecated, and reading the spec, it seems as though I wouldn't be
>able to boot directly from the array.
>
>Thanks in advance for any pointers.

I'm now quoting mkp:

---
But the other reason the cpqfcTS driver is special is the RA4100
array.  The two were sold as a packaged solution.  The RA4100 isn't a
"real" fibre channel disk device.  It represents itself as a TYPE_RAID
as opposed to TYPE_DISK.  So even if you had my driver in 2.6.5, you
wouldn't be able to use it.
---

What he was talking about as his driver is a replacement he writes for cpqfc.
cpqfc was deleted from 2.6 because it was horribly written and currently
broken. The 2.4 version is the same, but it might work because the 2.4
infrastructure is different from the 2.6 one.

Eike