blktool git repo created

After sitting around in a non-public subversion repo for far too long, I've stuffed the latest blktool source code into a git repository. As soon as it finished mirroring, it will be available at

rsync://rsync.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/blktool.git

The ostensible home page of blktool is http://sourceforge.net/projects/gkernel/

What is it?

blktool is a multi-purpose tool that aims to a common place to management common block concepts, across a wide variety of hardware.

For example, rather than having to learn and use different tools for ATA or SCSI or I2O for the concept of "suspend", in the future one will simply do "blktool /dev/foo suspend" and it will work, regardless of what type of device it is.

I'm hoping that, as high level patterns emerge in storage, that blktool can grow to meet these needs. For example, I would love to see blktool grow support for the various hardware RAID controllers out there, so that the admin need not learn a new raid management util for each controller. James Bottomley's scsi-independent RAID class should help in this endeavor, as it matures.

	Jeff

-