Re: [RFC] embryonic RAID class

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 06:45:25PM -0400, James Bottomley wrote:
> > Add hotspare-0, hotspare-1 ... to the list?
>
> Yes ... I only have two disks though, so I've reached the limit of what
> I can do with my current fusion setup.  The whole of the component
> display has to be reworked anyway (I only provide add, but obviously
> delete should be allowed as well as component type).  I'll add it to the
> list.  Probably we also need a component state model as well (and
> perhaps spare would be one of the states).

Different controllers have different hot spare capabilities.  Some hot
spares are global to the whole array and can fill in if any disk
fails.  Others are tied to either a group of logical volumes, or to a
single logical volume.  The first and third associations are easy, the
second association will require a new group concept.

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch