Re: RH9 upgrade to FC3 fails with I2O ZCR raid

> > I attempted to upgrade my RH9 (2.4.20-37.9) system to FC3 (2.6.9 I
> > believe is the release on the CDs).
> > I was able to get into Anaconda (by adding the I2O Block driver at the
> > "add Driver" screen) and to the section where I chose either a Fresh
> > install or an upgrade.
> > The first time I reached that point, the upgrade portion specified the
> > hdb (sdb) drive, which is my "backup" drive.  The drive I need to
> > upgrade is hda (sda).  I then power cycled the system and removed the
> > sdb drive to make sure nothing on that drive is touched.
> > I reached the same Fresh or Upgrade point, and this time the hda
> > (/dev/i2o/hda8) drive showed properly.  I chose upgrade, and this error
> > appears:
> > Error mounting device sda8 as /: No such file or directory
>
> Hmmm, think there is some problem with the partition naming...
>
> One 2.4.x kernel you most likely used the dpt_i2o module, but on 2.6.x
> kernel the default is the i2o_block module... So the device names change
> from /dev/sdaX to /dev/i2o/hdaX... I don't know for sure, but probably in
> /etc/fstab there are device names instead of labels. Something like:

> /dev/sda8                       /                  ext2   defaults  1  0
>
> And because the device names change FC3 couldn't mount /dev/sda8
> anymore...

The current fstab is:
/dev/sda8       /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
/dev/sda1       /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/sda7       /usr/local              ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/sda2       /var/lib/mysql          ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/sda5       /var/log/httpd         ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/sda6       /var/www                ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/sda3               swap                    swap    defaults
0 0

Since I was not successful on the install, I did not add/change the
/dev/sda# to /dev/i2o/hda#.  (Device names do change from /dev/sdL# in
RH to /dev/i2o/hdL# in FC3+.)

In my pay job I am don't have the ability to use LABEL on a partition.
Are you thinking I may be able to change the /dev/sda# to LABEL and
install that way?  Since the Fresh and the Upgrade install "found" the
drive successfully, I wouldn't think that Anaconda reads the fstab.
(I'm not familiar with Anaconda, so my logic could be wrong.)

-