Re: Exynos 9810 and Galaxy S9 (starlte)

On 01/10/2024 20:59, rbredhat wrote:
> Krzysztof, Henrik, thank you for the reply.
>
> First of all thanks to everyone who is working on adding support for older devices to the linux kernel and alternative OS (such as Lineageos and Postmarketos).
>
>> Just FYI, the original email was sent to me already in private and I
>> responded. Although I am still confused what is actually the question here.
>
> As an outside observer I see a lot of work has been done over the last 4 years to add support for Exynos9* based SoCs to the kernel. I understand that my question is rather directed to

I have 100% opposite feeling. I see absolutely 0 (zero) work done over
last 4 years to add support for Exynos9* based SoCs to the kernel.

> Samsung and I was wondering if it is possible that all

It's very tricky to answer to your emails because of lack of proper
wrapping. :(

> Exynos9* based SoCs will get at least basic support in mainstream anytime soon.

No, they will not. No one from Samsung works on this. Probably one
person from community, thus with very limited resources, might be
working on it. So outcome is unlikely.

> If the answer is no, as a potential consumer I would like to know if Samsung is going to adopt Qualcomm's practices in mainstreming code for at least its newer SoCs?

Yeah, you should ask Samsung... but to my knowledge Samsung does not
care at all and will not support mainline on anything else than
Exynos850 and few Auto SoCs (there are few awesome folks from Samsung
who cared and still care about mainline). So answer is: Samsung is not
going to adopt Qualcomm practices.

> From a hardware point of view Samsung devices are amazing and very robust. I can tell the old flagship models are still popular especially among the elderly users. But from a software point of view it is not safe to continue using my Galaxy anymore. It makes me sad and a little angry but I think its time to put this smartphone in the drawer and move on.

Well, we all know that :). Want long support, although still not
mainline, buy Google Pixel. For every other Android phone you are on
your own after two years.

Best regards,
Krzysztof

  • [Linux on Unisoc (RDA Micro) SoCs]     [Linux Actions SoC]     [Linux USB Development]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Linux SCSI]     [Yosemite News]