Re: [RFC} arm architecture board/feature deprecation timeline

On Mon, Aug 19, 2024, at 16:23, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 19, 2024 at 04:12:10PM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
>
> It is a long time since i looked at Orion, so i could be wrong....
>
> As far as i remember, it has a PCI controller and a PCIe
> controller. They are slightly different. The PCIe part is i think
> simpler to support, it follows the standards better. I _think_ the PCI
> controller uses a GPIO for interrupt support, which causes a mess.
>
> If only PCIe is needed, it should not be too hard to make work. I
> would try to avoid the PCI controller is possible.

This machine uses both PCIe (for ethernet) and PCI (for SATA).

The PCIe driver is arch/arm/plat-orion/pcie.c and is shared
with mach-dove and mach-mv78xx0, previously also with kirkwood
and presumably armadaxp, which now use the more modern
drivers/pci/controller/pci-mvebu.c.

I just looked at the other dts files for orion5x and see
that they still use the old pci/pcie driver without an
entry in the dts files.

This is clearly not where we want to be in the long run,
but doing the same thing for the terastation_pro2
is at least not going to make it worse.

       Arnd

  • [Linux on Unisoc (RDA Micro) SoCs]     [Linux Actions SoC]     [Linux USB Development]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Linux SCSI]     [Yosemite News]