Re: [RFC} arm architecture board/feature deprecation timeline

On Thu, Aug 1, 2024, at 20:23, Aaro Koskinen wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 01, 2024 at 10:59:38AM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
>>
>> Would the timing make any difference to you? I.e. does it help
>> to keep another year or two, or would dropping it in early 2025
>> be the same?
>
> Early 2025 could come too soon, but anyway during 2025 sounds OK. Let's
> see if anyone else has comments. At least one more LTS release where it
> has been tested would be nice.

To be clear: with "early 2025" I meant after the next LTS release
(6.12 as it seems), but one LTS later (early 2026) is still a
good outlook.

>> Ok, noted. Since you are doing the testing, that at least means
>> we have a chance of cleaning up the code gradually towards using
>> DT. Dmitry has started a migration of platform_data towards
>> DT compatible device properties, which can be done gradually
>> for the 22 platform drivers you use. This unfortunately still
>> leaves the nonstandard dmaengine interface (for UDC), but we
>> can deal with that later.
>
> I have some plans to work on that. There's a long-standing bug with 15xx
> DMA, but I have gotten that working, just need send those fixes out. After
> that the conversion to new dmaengine should be more straightforward,
> as we have a working testable reference for both boards using the UDC.

Nice, that does give a realistic hope of eventually doing a full
DT conversion then. If we manage to do both the DMA engine and
the device properties work, I would hope that writing an equivalent
dts file gets fairly easy.

     Arnd

  • [Linux on Unisoc (RDA Micro) SoCs]     [Linux Actions SoC]     [Linux USB Development]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Linux SCSI]     [Yosemite News]