Re: [RFC} arm architecture board/feature deprecation timeline

On 31/07/2024 19:29, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> We removed a lot of the unused board files at the beginning of
> 2023, and I'd like to plan ahead for other hardware and feature
> support that can be removed after the next stable kernel
> (linux-6.12).
>
> TL;DR: I think we can deprecate toolchain support for ARMv4
> (pre-thumb), iWMMXt, BE32 and OABI (-mabi=apcs-gnu) *if* that
> helps gcc-15, as we'll likely not need those any more after
> gcc-14 will be too old to build new kernels (ca. 2030).
>
> I hope we can keep reducing the number of non-DT board files a
> lot further, but I still expect this to take several more years
> before it is DT-only. Please reply here if you are using any
> of them so we can spare them once more.

All this (and what was below the quote) looks reasonable to me,
including Samsung S3C64xx and keeping support for RPi 1 (I was using it
till ~3 years ago).

Best regards,
Krzysztof

  • [Linux on Unisoc (RDA Micro) SoCs]     [Linux Actions SoC]     [Linux USB Development]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Linux SCSI]     [Yosemite News]