Re: mach-crag6410.c staying or going?

On Wed, Jul 31, 2024, at 04:42, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to remove platform data suppirt from samsung-keypad driver;
> mach-crag6410.c is the only user of samsung_keypad_platdata structure.
>
> I started converting it to software nodes, but I noticed the following
> message:
>
> ../arch/arm/mach-s3c/s3c64xx.c:423:9: note: '#pragma message: The
> platform is deprecated and scheduled for removal. Please reach to the
> maintainers of the platform and linux-samsung-soc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx if you
> still use it.Without such feedback, the platform will be removed after
> 2024.'
>
> So is this board/platform being dropped? If so when?

Unfortunately we are a bit stuck here and there is no good answer
for it. I think this board file is holding up more cleanups than
any other and I'd love to get rid of it, but Mark is still using
the machine, and probably relies on it more than anyone else
needs the other board files.

My personal impression is that yes, we will drop the board, just
not at the current timeline but following a later LTS kernel (
early 2026 or early 2027).

I have a list of all the other board file categories and how
long I expect them to be needed for, and should send that out
for further discussion now that rc1 is out.

My best estimate is that we can try to drop about 30 of the
remaining 40 board files in linux-6.13, and then keep chipping
away at the rest in the following years.

     Arnd

  • [Linux on Unisoc (RDA Micro) SoCs]     [Linux Actions SoC]     [Linux USB Development]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Linux SCSI]     [Yosemite News]