Re: Samsung based S3C2440A chipset - watchdog timer issue

On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 at 09:40, Suniel Mahesh <sunil.m@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am working on one of the Samsung based S3C2440A chipset based target .
>
> I have couple of questions and I request someone to shed some light on these: (Thank you)
>
> The watchdog driver in linux, looks like, it just configured WDT but didn't start it (code snippet included below).
>
> May i know the reasson why WDT is not started ? Is it because u-boot already started WDT, implies it is not required to do the
> same once we jump into linux ? or is there any specific reason ?
>
> drivers/watchdog/s3c2410_wdt.c (line 53 and lines 616 - 625)
>
> #define S3C2410_WATCHDOG_ATBOOT         (0)
> static int tmr_atboot   = S3C2410_WATCHDOG_ATBOOT;
> if (tmr_atboot && started == 0) {
>                 dev_info(dev, "starting watchdog timer\n");
>                 s3c2410wdt_start(&wdt->wdt_device);
>         } else if (!tmr_atboot) {
>                 /* if we're not enabling the watchdog, then ensure it is
>                  * disabled if it has been left running from the bootloader
>                  * or other source */
>
>                 s3c2410wdt_stop(&wdt->wdt_device);
>         }
>
> Tried to start WDT in linux by assigning value 1 to S3C2410_WATCHDOG_ATBOOT. The target resets.
>
> please comment.

I think watchdog should not start during boot before user-space is
brought up. Otherwise who will ping it? Usually watchdog is started by
opening the watchdog device by user-space. If you need it to be
running without user-space, there are special flags for this (see
WDOG_HW_RUNNING and others).

Best regards,
Krzysztof

  • [Linux on Unisoc (RDA Micro) SoCs]     [Linux Actions SoC]     [Linux USB Development]     [Video for Linux]     [Linux Audio Users]     [Linux SCSI]     [Yosemite News]