Re: [RFC 1/1] s390/cio: Remove uevent-suppress from css driver

On 1/19/21 12:59 PM, Cornelia Huck wrote:
On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 12:47:24 +0100
Halil Pasic <pasic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 14:03:25 +0100
Boris Fiuczynski <fiuczy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 12/21/20 5:51 PM, Halil Pasic wrote:
On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 16:46:34 +0100
Cornelia Huck <cohuck@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 19 Dec 2020 07:33:16 +0100
Halil Pasic <pasic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I finally came around to test this. In my experience driverctl works for
subchannels and vfio_ccw without this patch, and continues to work with
it. I found the code in driverctl that does the unbind and the implicit
bind (via drivers_probe after after driver_override was set).

So now I have to ask, how exactly was the original problem diagnosed?

In https://marc.info/?l=linux-s390&m=158591045732735&w=2 there is a
paragraph like:

"""
So while there's definitely a good reason for wanting to delay uevents,
it is also introducing problems. One is udev rules for subchannels that
are supposed to do something before a driver binds (e.g. setting
driver_override to bind an I/O subchannel to vfio_ccw instead of
io_subchannel) are not effective, as the ADD uevent will only be
generated when the io_subchannel driver is already done with doing all
setup. Another one is that only the ADD uevent is generated after
uevent suppression is lifted; any other uevents that might have been
generated are lost.
"""

This is not how driverclt works! I.e. it deals with the situation that
the I/O subchannel was already bound to the io_subchannel driver at
the time the udev rule installed by driverctl activates (via the
mechanism I described above).
That's... weird. It definitely did not work on the LPAR I initially
tried it out on!
I think Boris told me some weeks ago that it didn't work for him either.
I will check with him after the winter sleep.
Yesterday I used driverctl successfully for a subchannel on F33.

Not sure what went wrong a couple of months ago but I cannot reproduce
driverctl not working now.
Thanks Boris!

@Conny: IMHO driver_override has to work without this patch. Can you
figure out, why did you claim it does not (and provide instructions
on how to reproduce the problem)?
This may have been due to other reasons and only looking like a uevent
issue at the first glance; however, I do not have that particular setup
anymore, so I guess we'll never know.

However, I think removing the suppression still looks like a good idea:
we still have the "any uevent other than ADD will have been lost"
problem.
I totally agree with this.
@Vineeth: I think the best way to move forward is to respin this patch
with a commit message, that doesn't argue about driver_override.
That sounds good to me.
Thank you @Conny, @Halil and @Boris on the insights.
I see that the driver_override works with/without this patch anyway.
But, as mentioned previously, this is more like a cleanup patch.
I shall respin the patch as a cleanup patch for CIO layer.

Regards
Vineeth

[Index of Archives]     [Kernel Development]     [Kernel Newbies]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite Info]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Linux Media]     [Device Mapper]