Re: [RFC 1/1] s390/cio: Remove uevent-suppress from css driver

On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 16:52:19 +0100
Cornelia Huck <cohuck@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Dec 2020 08:20:06 +0100
> Halil Pasic <pasic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 16 Dec 2020 13:07:10 +0100
> > Cornelia Huck <cohuck@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Hm, maybe we need to make a change in driverctl that allows per-bus
> > > custom rules?
> > >

> > The issue with that is, that this problem ain't bus specific. I.e. it
> > could make perfect sense to driver_override a certain ccw tape device to
> > an alternative tape driver.
>
> But ccw does not provide driver_override? Confused.

Right, but it could. That is not my point. I was arguing with 'per-bus
custom rules'.

> > The problem is, that the only way driverctl can identify a device is a
> > (name_of_the_bus), device_name_on_the bus) pair. Currently the udev rule
> > installed by driverctl simply ooks fora file
> > /etc/driverctl.d/$env{SUBSYSTEM}-$kernel
> > which basically encodes the current selection criteria.
> >
> > Can yo please elaborate on your idea? How would you extend the driverctl
> > cli and how would persistence look like for these custom rules? Would
> > you make driverctl write an udev rule for each such device/custom rule
> > on 'set-override' command instead of file in /etc/driverctl.d?
>
> I have not really looked at how to implement this. But we could have
> driverctl support an optional "additional_parameters" option, which
> allows to specify key/value pairs that have to match. I guess that
> should be dropped into the driverctl config directory, and generate an
> additional check?

The devil is always in the details. I'm sure something can be done :).
Key/value pairs for matching fits IMHO better with new udev rules than
with files in the driverctl config dir that somehow generate additiona
checks. One thing I didn't understand is, are you proposing an invocation
like
driverctl -b css --additional_params="DEVNO=<devno>" \
set-override <subchannel_no> vfio_ccw
or
driverctl -b css --additional_params="DEVNO=<devno>" \
set-override vfio_ccw
?

The first one would safeguard against passing through the wrong devno,
but I think, we actually want to be oblivious about the subchannel
number.

Regards,
Halil

[Index of Archives]     [Kernel Development]     [Kernel Newbies]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite Info]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Linux Media]     [Device Mapper]