Re: [RFD] uevent handling for subchannels

On Mon, 27 Apr 2020 12:10:17 +0200
Peter Oberparleiter <oberpar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 23.04.2020 18:20, Cornelia Huck wrote:
> > On Thu, 23 Apr 2020 16:52:24 +0200
> > Vineeth Vijayan <vneethv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Then we could also change the way ccw_device_call_sch_unregister()
> >> works, where
> >> the subchannel-unregister is happening from an upper layer.
> >
> > Hm, what's the problem here? This seems to be mostly a case of "we did
> > I/O to the device and it appeared not operational; so we go ahead and
> > unregister the subchannel"? Childless I/O subchannels are a bit useless.
>
> Hey Conny,
>
> sparked by your proposal, Vineeth and myself looked at the corresponding
> CIO code and wondered if things couldn't be done in a generally
> better/cleaner way. So here we'd like to get your opinion.
>
> In particular, as it is currently, a child-driver (IO subchannel driver,
> vfio-ccw, etc.) unregisters a device owned by a parent-device-driver
> (CSS), which feels from a high-level-view like a layering violation:
> only the parent driver should register and unregister the parent device.
> Also in case no subchannel driver is available (e.g. due to
> driver_override=none), there would be no subchannel ADD event at all.

Doesn't the base css code generate the uevent in that case?

> So, tapping into you historical expertise about CIO, is there any reason
> for doing it this way beyond being nice to userspace tooling that
> subchannels with non-working CCW devices are automatically hidden by
> unregistering them?

We always had ccw devices behind I/O subchannels, but that has not been
the case since we introduced vfio-ccw, so hopefully everybody can deal
with that. The rationale behind this was that device-less I/O
subchannels were deemed to be useless; I currently can't remember
another reason.

What about EADM, btw? CHSC does not have a device, and message does not
have a driver.

> Removing the child-unregisters-parent logic this would also enable
> manual rebind of subchannels for which only a different driver than the
> default one can successfully talk to the child device, though I'm
> unaware of any current application for that.

Yes.

Let me think about that some more (no clear head currently, sorry.)

[Index of Archives]     [Kernel Development]     [Kernel Newbies]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite Info]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Linux Media]     [Device Mapper]