Re: [RFD] uevent handling for subchannels

Friendly ping.

On Fri, 3 Apr 2020 12:40:32 +0200
Cornelia Huck <cohuck@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> this is kind-of-a-followup to the uevent patches I sent in
> <20200327124503.9794-1-cohuck@xxxxxxxxxx> last Friday.
>
> Currently, the common I/O layer will suppress uevents for subchannels
> that are being registered, delegating generating a delayed ADD uevent
> to the driver that actually binds to it and only generating the uevent
> itself if no driver gets bound. The initial version of that delaying
> was introduced in fa1a8c23eb7d ("s390: cio: Delay uevents for
> subchannels"); from what I remember, we were seeing quite bad storms of
> uevents on LPARs that had a lot of I/O subchannels with no device
> accessible through them.
>
> So while there's definitely a good reason for wanting to delay uevents,
> it is also introducing problems. One is udev rules for subchannels that
> are supposed to do something before a driver binds (e.g. setting
> driver_override to bind an I/O subchannel to vfio_ccw instead of
> io_subchannel) are not effective, as the ADD uevent will only be
> generated when the io_subchannel driver is already done with doing all
> setup. Another one is that only the ADD uevent is generated after
> uevent suppression is lifted; any other uevents that might have been
> generated are lost.
>
> So, what to do about this, especially in the light of vfio-ccw handling?
>
> One idea I had is to call css_sch_is_valid() from
> css_register_subchannel(); this would exclude the largest class of
> non-operational subchannels already (those that don't have a valid
> device; I'm not quite sure if there's also something needed for EADM
> subchannels?) If we got rid of the uevent delaying, we would still get
> ADD/REMOVE events for subchannels where the device turns out to be
> non-accessible, but I believe (hope) that those are not too many in a
> sane system at least. As a bonus, we could also add additional values
> from the pmcw to the uevent; the device number, for example, could be
> helpful for vfio-ccw matching rules.
>
> A drawback is that we change the timing (not the sequence, AFAICS) of
> the uevents, which might break brittle setups.
>
> Thoughts?

[Index of Archives]     [Kernel Development]     [Kernel Newbies]     [IDE]     [Security]     [Git]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite Info]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Linux ATA RAID]     [Samba]     [Linux Media]     [Device Mapper]