Re: NMIs reported by console_blast.sh with 6.6.20-rt25

On Tue, Apr 02, 2024 at 12:34:14PM +0200, Sebastian Andrzej Siewior wrote:
> > Just before the sysrq that crashes the system.
>
> so this is intentional.

Yes.

> > This is part of the console_blast.sh script that John Ogness sent me.
> >
> > Please see below:
> …
>
> Okay. Then everything works as it should…

Correct.

> > > This and the following backtrace shows the same picture: The CPU is
> > > crashing due to proc/sysrq request and does CPU-backtraces via NMI and
> > > polls in early_printk, waiting for the UART to become idle (probably).
> > >
> > > I don't see an issue here so far.
> >
> > Luis Goncalves discussed it with me after reading your response. Thank
> > you for your help. The NMI was needed to flush the buffers upon the
> > system crashing itself. Does this part about NMI watchdog need to be
> > documented?
>
> Not sure about that one. There is an _a_ _lot_ to be printed from NMI
> and the NMI watchdog might trigger if nothing is triggering the
> NMI-watchdog during the print job. Also, the crash was requested.

I reran the 6.6 test and no NMI was reported with fully preemptive and
the realtime tuned profile. It was my error; my apologies for that.

I did include more of logs if you want to see here for my 6.8 testing.

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-rt-users/ZgWL2UyknaE2T70C@thinkpad2021/T/#u

Sincerely,
John Wyatt
Software Engineer, Core Kernel