Re: rtapp tracer

Hi John,

On 11.09.23 19:10, John Ogness wrote:
> Hi Jan,
>
> On 2023-09-10, Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> is your rtapp tracer [1] somewhere publicly available already?
>
> No. In fact, it does not yet exist at all. At EOSS2023 I presented a
> proposal, mostly to get an initial reaction, feedback, and see if there
> was interest from the RT community.
>
>> And what's the status of this effort?
>
> Right now I am dedicating my time towards finishing the printk work so
> that we can get PREEMPT_RT mainline. I plan on working on an rtapp
> tracer after that. If anyone else wants to start this work sooner, I am
> happy to contribute where I can.

Upstreaming is most important, absolutely.

/me neither has the time to start something at this point. But I see the
importance of this topic and would like to follow and, where possible,
contribute to such an effort. Just recently, I had to explain to
colleagues lengthily where traps are when porting applications over -rt.
Codifying some of those issues into a runtime checker would definitely
be more helpful - though also much harder.

> BTW, it is not yet clear if it should be a tracer or an RV monitor. In
> the presentation [2] (starting at 50:15) you can hear Daniel's argument
> for implementing this as an RV monitor instead.
>
> In case you were interested in the bpftrace script I used as a
> proof-of-concept, I have attached it to this email. For it to work I
> used a Debian/bookworm system (12.0). The kernel package was
> linux-image-6.1.0-9-rt-amd64 (6.1.27-1) and the bpftrace package was
> version 0.17.0-1. However, in order for bpftrace to support kprobe
> offsets, I needed to rebuild the bpftrace package with the extra
> Build-Depends "libbfd-dev". As mentioned in the presentation, with any
> other kernel binary, the proof-of-concept demo probably won't work.
>
> Also be aware this was just a proof-of-concept. A real rtapp tracer will
> need to catch many more cases (as I mentioned in the presentation).

Thanks,
Jan

--
Siemens AG, Technology