Re: [rt-tests 0/4] Streamlining code base?

On Mon, 7 Sep 2020, Daniel Wagner wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 04, 2020 at 11:40:06AM -0400, John Kacur wrote:
> > I'm not saying this is the only legitimate approach, but I would like to
> > keep the individual tools lightweight in rt-tests, so that you could run
> > them individually in the embedded space as well as on large machines.
>
> Sure, though I still think it would make sense to keep it flexible and
> have a compile switch if needed. I'd like to avoid additional steps
> between the measurement and interpretation. Any time we want to
> add/change a thing, we need to touch more places.
>
> Furthermore, if you look at my implementation for the JSON output of
> jitterdebugger is really small:
>
> https://github.com/igaw/jitterdebugger/blob/master/jitterdebugger.c#L158
>
> Adding a XML version for this should be in the same size.
>
> If you insist on a single format (XML) that's also okay for me. Python
> ships all the necessary libraries these days. Though the JSON format is
> simpler to transform into native data types such as dictionaries and
> lists, IMO.

If you just read a text stream like rteval does, and store in a native
data type, then it is trivial to output any data format.

However, your implementation for your jitterdebugger is truly small,
I don't want to stomp on your creativity, so spin off a git branch and go
to it. I can be persuaded.

John