Re: [rt-tests 0/4] Streamlining code base?

On Fri, 4 Sep 2020, Daniel Wagner wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 03, 2020 at 08:39:48PM -0500, Clark Williams wrote:
> > I think it's a noble goal and I'd be up for it, especially trying to come
> > up with a parsable output format. Got any thoughts on it? Personally I'd
> > go for (in order of preference):
> >
> > 	XML
> > 	JSON
> > 	Random Gibberish
> > 	Any Damned thing
> > 	YAML
>
> For jitterdebugger I ended up adding a bunch of plugins for the output
> format. So I don't have to argue which format it best, though if I had
> to choose I'd properly pick JSON.
>
> > Did I mention that I hate YAML?
>
> Named must be your fear before banish it you can.

We have some software called rteval that parses the output of cyclictest.
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/rteval/rteval.git/

(I'll take patches for that too)

It runs cyclictest under-the-covers like this
cyclictest  -qmu -h 2000 -p95 -t -a
and parses the output.

The output is then transformed into XML.

What I like about this, is that it keeps cyclictest lightweight since the
data it parses is just text. Then rteval could generate whatever kind of
output you are interested in. xml for clark, yaml for the yammering crowd
and so on.

I'm not saying this is the only legitimate approach, but I would like to
keep the individual tools lightweight in rt-tests, so that you could run
them individually in the embedded space as well as on large machines.

So one way to start would be to make sure that the other tools in the
rt-tests suite are capable of generating a similar kind of output, that
could then be processed by other tools.

John